Wednesday, September 28, 2011

40 Days for Life

When my husband and I found out that I was expecting for the second time we were over joyed with happiness.  God has blessed us with another little miracle.  I have gone to every prenatal appointment with excitement to hear our little one's heart beat.  


When you are pregnant, your OBGYB will usually ask if you like to take a few genetic test.  One of them is to see if the baby has down syndrome.  The first time I was asked by my doctor if I would like to take the genetic test for down syndrome, was during my last pregnancy.  I asked the doctor why I had to take the test.  She explained to me that it was optional.  "Some parents like to know," she said.  I asked why, can something be done?  She said, "well no, but some parents take it so they know if they should terminate the pregnancy or not."  My husband and I were in shocked and immediately told the doctor that there was no need for the test.  The doctor went on to mention that she did not agree with the test because all babies develop at a different rate.  When the genetic test is done and the test results come out positive, it doesn't necessarily mean the baby has down syndrome because every baby develops at a different rate.  At that moment, the only thing I could think of was of all the babies who were aborted because their parents thought they had down syndrome but really did not.  So sad.  


A few months later, a friend of mine told me that she had taken the genetic test for down syndrome while she was pregnant, not to abort, but to be prepared.  She was told her baby had down syndrome.  Her and her husband prepared for the baby.  When their precious baby was born they were shocked because their baby did not have down syndrome. 


Imagine how many babies are aborted due to this genetic test of down syndrome?  At least 80% of these babies are being aborted.  It lets you see what people really think of children with down syndrome.  These babies are not given a chance at life.  Who fights for their rights?  

Today marks the beginning of 40 Days for Life which runs from September 28th-November 6th.  You might be wondering what is 40 Days for Life,  "40 Days for Life is a focused pro-life campaign with a vision to access God’s power through prayer, fasting, and peaceful vigil to end abortion in America."


Let us stand up for all the babies who were not given a chance at life.  Let us not look back at our generation with shame but with gratitude for standing up for life.  Get involved at 40 Days for Life.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment